It’s January, time for resolutions, fresh starts and all kinds of personal change. Maybe one of your resolutions involves drinking less (or not drinking any) alcohol. If you’ve tried to quit or cut back before, you know it’s not an easy thing to do for many people. There is social pressure to drink regardless of your age, and alcohol is simply everywhere. There are, however, a lot of places to turn and resources you can count on if you’re committed to making some changes.
In addition to live support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Secular Organizations for Sobriety, SMART Recovery and Women for Sobriety, there are virtual organizations to help those trying to manage a relationship with alcohol. Many of the groups are targeted specifically to women, and most groups include members from around the world. A few that have crossed our radar include these, but know that the list is far from exhaustive.
Hello Sunday Morning hellosundaymorning.org
Hello Sunday Morning (HSM) is the largest online movement for alcohol behavior change in the world. Based in Australia, the site also appears to have the most significant number of males who participate. Founded in 2009 by Chris Raine, HSM offers a community platform for people taking an alcohol break and an iPhone app for those interested in alcohol moderation. Every Sunday the community members share highlights of their hangover free day on Instagram. Support the organization in its mission to broaden its reach with a voluntary contribution.
Living Sober livingsober.org.nz
Lotta Dann, who blogs from New Zealand as Mrs. D Is Going Without (also the name of her book) is the host of a free resource that bills itself as a “place of warmth, wisdom, support, encouragement and understanding.” If you register as a member, which you can do anonymously, you gain access to the Members Feed, which is a rolling communication space. As a non-member you can view the Faces of Recovery gallery, use the Sober Calculator, and utilize the information inside the Getting Help section.
Sexy Sobriety sexysobriety.com.au
Holistic Health Coach Rebecca Weller runs this site from Australia. The site offers free access to interviews with a variety of women in various stages of abstinence. A 90-day membership costs $197 and includes a focused coaching program and access to additional content. Weller explains that her mission is to help you feel empowered, happy and confident in your choice not to drink. She says that Sexy Sobriety provides insights that are not just lessons in sobriety, but lessons in life. She covers topics like how to find balance, how to manage emotions in a healthy way, and how to care for yourself.
Launched in 2012 in the UK, the groups’ founder Lucy Rocca has authored several books on sobriety, including Glass Half Full and How to Lead a Happier, Healthier and Alcohol-Free Life. While anyone can visit the website, the bulk of the helpful content—including the ability to comment in the online forums—is available only to paid members. A three-month membership costs about $20. Anyone interested in Soberistas is allowed 50 free page views of the website, prior to payment being required.
The Sober School thesoberschool.com
Sober since 2013, site manager Kate Bee offers a six-week online training program for women who want to examine their relationship with alcohol. The cost for the guided course is approximately $375. Whether you’re taking a short break from alcohol or giving up for good, the Sober School program offers a variety of tips and resources. A Stop Drinking Toolkit is offered free on the website, where you can also access Kate’s weekly blog posts. The Sober School is based in the UK.
Tired of Thinking About Drinking tiredofthinkingaboutdrinking.com
Based in France, this support group is run by Belle Robertson, who explains that the site is 80 percent completely free content, including a 100-day sober challenge, daily emails, a blog and newsletters. The other 20 percent is fee-based, including an audio Sober Jumpstart class, customized sober jewelry, treat boxes, sober mentor calls with Belle and a podcast subscription. Visitors are encouraged to sign up for the 100-Day Sober Challenge.
Do you like to read articles like this one? Subscribe to my monthly ezine That’s Forkin’ Amazing!, by clicking here: http://bit.ly/TFAeZine
*For a personal account of my own “Reflections on a Year Without Alcohol” go here: http://www.fork-road.com/blog/?m=201505